Wednesday, December 1, 2010

PART 1

Four years.

1, 460 days.

College is supposed to be the best time of your life. We’ve all heard this saying over and over again. It’s the mantra that college students thrive off of. Students spend countless hours and endless nights in the library, stress over the hard tests and retake classes in the name of graduating on time. They work hard, finally get their degree, and step outside of the protective bubble of college.
College presents many opportunities to learn and find what peaks interests. You pick a major and stay the course. But what happens when another avenue opens up three years into your chosen field? What if there are no jobs in your chosen market and you wish to pursue a different career after graduation? All these questions and more are risks students take as soon as they decide on a major.
Sixty percent of college students change their major according to Young Money (http://www.youngmoney.com/careers/career-advice/037_217/.) Some make that change early enough for the shift to not cause a major rift. However, if senior year rolls around and you’ve found something else that might be more up your alley, it’s time to make a decision.
There are several web chats where undergraduate students who wish to pursue something else bring up grad school. Graduate schools allow students wanting to pursue a master’s degree in a chosen field-it may have something to do with their major or something completely different. While having a degree is a requirement, according to Web Chats on College Confidential (http://talk.collegeconfidential.com), it’s more important to be well rounded and have a good GPA.
“In my cohort, there are several ‘outside major’ students, so it definitely can be done. It all comes down that you can persuade at least one professor that you’re going to be the best student that year, worth his time and effort,” said an anonymous writer on the web chat.
According to a study done on the website “Does Your Major Matter” (http://www.doesyourmajormatter.com)-out of 555 total respondents (employers), only 200 consider an undergraduate major somewhat important or higher when evaluating a job applicant.
“The overwhelming majority, however, believe that while college majors have some weight, the subject an applicant studied in college is not the deciding factor in the hiring decision,” posted Katie Konrath, writer of the article.
In deciding what the best path is, whether following the undergraduate degree, going to grad school, or choosing an entirely different job-most people look at pay scale. According to Paycale (www.payscale.com), the best jobs are in engineering.
College is the best time of your life-we’ve all heard it. It’s what you’re going to do with that degree you spend the ‘best time of your life’ getting that might cause an issue. 
PART 2 
Katie Sardelli knows a thing or two about changing your mind in college. 
The Resident Learning Coordinator of Margaret Nance at Winthrop University graduated from undergraduate school from The College of William and Mary with a degree in economics. She went to study higher education with a concentration in residence life at graduate school. She also took cooking classes.
"College is a time to grown and learn and experience different things. I don't think it's fair they ask you to pick your major so quickly. After you graduate, anything is possible. You don't have the safe world of college and people to guide you through," Sardelli said. 
Choosing a major in college is critical-you have to have a degree in something to get a job. 
Halfway through college, Sardelli decided to try being an resident assistant. She realized quickly that her passion was actually being in school and helping students get adjusted to life on campus. 
"I knew I was meant to spend extra years in college just working in one instead of being in school," Sardelli said. 
Dr. Frank Ardaiolo, vice president of student life at Winthrop University, also decided to pursue other options in graduate school. 
"i was a political science and history major for undergrad," Ardaiolo said.
"I became an RA, realized that helping out meant more to me than being a political and chose that avenue. I've been doing that every since. I was actually the current president's first hire at Winthrop. I couldn't be happier helping students."
Sometimes students think it's too late to change their major. Senior year rolls around and all the sudden it's graduation time. 
Graduate schools offer students the opportunity to chase other passions. It allows students to have a concetration in something other than an undergraduate degree. 
There are so many options available to students while on college-- so many majors to choose from and so many decisions to make. If while choosing a major a class catches attention, Ardaiolo has some advice. 
"Take lots of different classes your freshman and sophomore year. Find what you love."
PART 3
          Being a guidance counselor just seemed like the right career for Amanda McLeod. A senior at Winthrop University, 21-year-old McLeod had always thought she’d be a counselor.
          “It’s what I’d seen my sister study at college, and it just seemed like something I wanted to do as well,” McLeod said.
          Now, as a senior, she has changed her mind and decided she wants to pursue something else.
“City Year is a program that allows me to follow my passion of helping others, as well as get a feel for teaching and counseling, so I can see if that’s the route I want to take.”
McLeod came to Winthrop a shy and somewhat reserved woman from Hartsville, S.C. Through college, she’s explored a bunch of different avenues, including studying abroad in Dublin, Ireland.
“Getting the chance to study abroad really changed my perspective and opened up a lot of opportunities. I’ve considered going to grad school in Ireland, and although it might never happen it’s fun to think about,” McLeod said.
As a senior, however, McLeod is now struck by a slight fear.
“If City Year doesn’t work out, I honestly don’t know what I’ll do for a living. I know I don’t want to spend a lifetime doing something I don’t like. I’m really hoping City Year pans out-I’d love to do that for a year.”
McLeod has taken a lot of different classes during her time at Winthrop, which has also broadened her horizons.
“I don’t like that they basically ask you to pick your major the minute you get in the door. A part of me feels like I’ve wasted three and a half years because all the sudden I’m changing my mind. I’m also interested in photography, a class I’ve taken. I’ve considered social work, which is my minor. It’s just tough to nail down a decision when they ask you to be well rounded while picking a major.”
Most seniors face the fear of not having a job in this economy where the unemployment rate is still so high. Winthrop is more known for its education department. Teaching positions have significantly declined and schools now are looking for people with experience, not just graduates with a degree. McLeod knows the dangers she faces.
“Teaching is risky, I get it. I don’t know why I’m finding it so fascinating, because I know the risks involved. That’s what City Year is,  though. It allows me to volunteer and help out in a high needs area for a year and get a feel for it, and make a little bit more of a firm decision after trying it.”
McLeod has also done some volunteer work this semester at school to make her decision a little clearer.
“Volunteering has mostly taught me that I don’t want to work with young kids. It’s also taught me, however, that I really do have a passion for helping people and children and somehow making their lives a little better. I’ve learned that through a lot of my experiences and a lot of my time at school.”
          While the future looks scary, McLeod also knows that she’s been really blessed to have the opportunities she has.
“Studying abroad and going to a school where I can honestly be myself and I can make my own decisions and figure it out is the best thing. Yes, I’m scared about what’s to come, but I also know that no matter what I’m going to be okay because I’ve learned a lot and I’ve learned to take care of myself.” 


 
          

                               
   
Powered by Podbean.com
   

    Maribea's Podcast 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Ran across your article from a Google Alerts feed I have for Winthrop and Careers. Good article/blog! I work in Career & Civic Engagement at Winthrop - just hoping students realize they can also get help figuring out career paths/changes, grad school, etc by coming to see us in Crawford!
www.facebook.com/winthropcce

Keep up the writing!
-Dre