Monday, September 15, 2008

Franny and Zooey

So I just picked up Franny and Zooey, a book by J.D. Salinger. I'm sure most of you have heard of Catcher in the Rye (which is a great book) but I'm interested to see what is offered through Franny and Zooey.

Working in a bookstore, I have opportunities to read books I normally wouldn't considering reading: books that test my emotions or books that force me to see the whole picture. For example, this summer I read a book called Eight Lives Down, and it was based on a soldier in the Iraq war. While neither agreeing with or disputing the war, this man tells the story of what it's like being there and how that is his job. It was a great read and since I've finished it I've branched out a little bit more and started reading a little bit of everything.

I encourage everyone to step out of their comfort zone with books and try reading something a little different. If you normally read fiction, pick up a non-fiction history book. If you normally read sports books, give mystery books a try. Just see what is available out there for you. You never know where the next book you'll love is hiding on the shelf.

2 comments:

aeirose said...

Sounds like a plan!

SaM-1 said...

Great idea, but I'd first have to step outside of my comfort and start reading period!