Saturday, September 27, 2008

"Remember It's A Sin To Kill A Mockingbird"

To Kill a Mockingbird is only one of the best books ever written. It is still required in most high school reading lists, as I believe it should be.

Jem and Scout. Brother and sister. Best friends. Throughout the story we follow Jem and Scout's adventures through town (mostly involving the newcomer Dill and Boo Radley.)

Their father, Atticus, is the hero of our story, at least in my opinion. Knowing he would be creating problems, Atticus did the right thing and defended an African American who was accused of raping a white girl.

At the beginning of the novel, Scout and Jem are two children who admire their father because he is their father. By the end of the novel, I believe that they admire him because he is a decent man who does the right thing because it's the right thing to do. Not to gain anything.

Readers see that Atticus has his children's best interests at heart throughout the novel. He teaches them to read (earlier than he was supposed to, according to Scout's teacher when she first starts school) and helps them learn values. He shows them that money isn't the most important thing by letting people "pay" them any way they can, whether with food or goods or money.

Click here to read about an overview of To Kill A Mockingbird.

Everyone should check out this book. At least give it a chance. You'll grow up right along side Scout it seems.

2 comments:

Sarah MacDonald said...

I agree 100 percent! I got very attached to all the characters in the book, especially Atticus. Seriously if I could be more like any character in ANY piece of literature it'd have to be Atticus.

SaM-1 said...

This is one book I actually came very close to reading, but too many pages. However, the SparkNotes version of the book was great! I enjoyed it and I passed my high school assignments too!